Monday, January 26, 2009

Almond Joy Bars

Here you go Dasha, as requested. This is a recipe I got from recipezaar. I changed it a bit and would make a couple other changes too, now that I've tried the recipe. First, the filling calls for 2 cans of s.c. milk - I think that was way too much since I had to add another 1 1/2-2 cups of coconut just to make a thicker consistency that wasn't so runny. Next time, I will just add 1 can and probably keep the amount of coconut listed. Second, I left out the almonds (just because I knew my kids wouldn't eat them), but they would probably taste yummy with them. Third, I had to bake mine for closer to 30 minutes in order to get the center golden brown like the edges. Last, I used 1/2 semi-sweet and 1/2 milk chocolate chips for the topping (I thought all semi-sweet chips might be too strong). So, try this at your own risk! (But regardless of how they looked or "set-up", they were delicious . . . and dangerous because I ate waaaaay too many! :)

Ingredients
Crust
2 cups crushed graham crackers
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup melted margarine

Filling
3 cups flaked coconut
2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups toasted almonds

Topping
1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
1Melt margarine,stir in sugar and graham crackers until all worked in together.
2Pat in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
3Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
4while the crust is baking, mix the sweetened condensed milk with the coconut until all the coconut is incorporated with the sweetened condensed milk.
5I usually chop the almonds up as the bars cut easier when they are chopped rather than left whole, but that is a personal choice.
6When the crust is out of the oven, spread filling over the crust. Once the filling is spread, sprinkle the toasted almonds over the filling.
7Bake the bars for 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
8Once you take the bars out of the oven, I turn my oven off, sprinkle the chocolate chips over the bars and return to oven for a few minutes until the chips are melted enough to spread with a knife.
9I have found over the years that scoring the bars while the chocolate is still soft, helps when cutting the bars after they have cooled. Other wise when you cut the cooled bars, they don't seem to cut cleanly and neatly. I also cut them into tiny bite size pieces, they are very rich and by cutting them small, they go alot further.

1 comment:

Little Crazies said...

thanks Wendy!! they were very tasty and as you said dangerous - i ate that whole plate! :)