Sunday, June 7, 2009

Wheat Bread Recipe

Dasha wanted me to post the recipe for wheat bread I have been using. I got it off the container for the dough enhancer (Blue Chip is the brand I think) I bought. The recipe will make 4 loaves so if you want only 2, cut it in half :). I think that using the dough enhancer and the Vital Wheat Gluten make the bread not as crumbly as previous loaves of bread I have made. It seems to last a bit longer. Also, mom pointed out that yeast and salt don't interact well together. The first few times I made this recipe, it didn't rise as well. The last time I cut the salt in 1/2 and it rose like crazy. It didn't taste any different either. So here you go Dasha!!!

Blend or mix on speed 2 for 2 minutes

  • 6 Cups Warm/Hot water(120-130 degrees F)
  • 2/3 Cup Oil
  • 2/3 Cup Honey
  • 2 Tbsp Instant Yeast

Add:

  • 2 Tbsp Blue Chip Group Dough Enhancer
  • 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/3 Cup Vital Wheat Gluten
  • 2 Tbsp Salt (if desired)

Blend and Knead:

Add slowly 9 Cups whole wheat flour until side of bowl is clean or mix on speed 1-2 for 8 minutes.

Shape:

Into loaf pans and let rise until double

Bake:

At 350 F for 30 - 40 minutes.

2 comments:

Little Crazies said...

Thanks Suzy!! where do you get dough enhancer? i've never even heard about such a thing...:) and matt would have to knead the dough, cause i don't have a mixer... :)) but i will definetely try making this bread.. i love homemade breads...

squick said...

Hey Dasha! I got the dough enhancer at Walmart - they probably only sell it at Walmart in Utah. It is a Salt Lake based company called the Blue Chip Group. They might have something similar at a Whole Foods or somewhere like that.